Us and the Community
Campaign to End Hunger
KSW Federal Credit Union is part of Maine Credit Union League's annual Campaign to End Hunger. In 2016, the Maine Credit Union League announced a record-setting $674,193.48 raised. Since 1990, Maine's credit unions have raised over $7.2 million dollars in an ongoing effort to end hunger in the state.
The Social Responsibility Committee at KSW FCU has numerous fundraisers throughout 2015 to benefit local food pantries. Through various raffles, 50/50 and food sales KSW raised over $3,688! This money was split between four food pantries, two in the Waterville area and two in the Belfast community.
To make a tax-deductible contribution to the Campaign, please visit KSW Federal Credit Union, or mail a contribution and make checks payable:
Maine Credit Unions' Campaign for Ending Hunger
ATTN: 2016 Campaign
PO Box 1236
Portland ME 04104
Ending Hunger Campaign Facts:
- All money raised is distributed to hunger organizations and food pantries throughout Maine.
- 100% of all of the money raised by credit unions stays in Maine and goes directly to the cause of ending hunger. All administrative costs are covered by the Maine CU League's Social Responsibility Committee.
- The month of November is designated as ending hunger month in Maine and Maine's credit unions are usually involved in a variety of food drives and fundraising activities for ending hunger
Maine Special Olympics
KSW Federal Credit Union’s Social Responsibility Committee plans a variety of fundraisers such as soup sales, raffles, and cookouts to support Special Olympics Maine. The money collected during these events is presented to the athletes and representatives at an annual meeting held in June. In 2014, Maine Credit Unions raised $73,500 surpassing the one-million dollar mark for the organization since its launch in 1994. KSW raised over $2,000 for Special Olympics Maine in 2016 from our many fundraisers.
The Insurance Trust, which provides the credit union with insurance and loan protection products, spearheads Special Olympics for all of Maine’s credit unions. Insurance Trust holds an annual Golf Tournament in July with the proceeds benefitting the cause.
Members of the KSW FCU staff travel to Sugarloaf USA and University of Maine to volunteer and watch athletes compete in a variety of events for the winter and summer games.
James A Veilleux Scholarship Application
KSW Federal Credit Union will grant a $500.00 scholarship to a graduating senior. The winner will be notified at their school’s graduation awards ceremony. In order to receive their award, the student must: 1) provide evidence of having successfully completed the first semester as a full time student in good standing at an accredited college, university, or technical school (passing grades in all subjects): and 2) provide evidence of enrollment as a full time student for a second semester of post-secondary school. A further condition of this scholarship is that the second semester referenced above must begin within a year of the first semester.
Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Must be a member of KSW Federal Credit Union for 6 months or more
- Acceptance to an accredited college, university or technical school
- Demonstrate passing grades in all subjects during your high school years
- Participation in community service